Join Our Mailing List!

Stay Up-to-Date With Our Latest News

Exclusive content, important information, and frequent updates! Stay up-to-date with the Yonkers Police Benevolent Association by joining our mailing list below.

In Memoriam


P.O. Edward Burns #42

Yonkers Police Officer Edward Burns had four years on the job. Since his appointment he had been assigned to the Mounted Unit because of his riding abilities. He worked out of the 1st. Precinct on Wells Avenue and usually was assigned a "route" on Saw Mill River Road or Yonkers Ave. The footmen covered the downtown Getty Square posts. Standing over 6 feet tall and weighing more than 200 pounds, Ed was in excellent physical condition and was a well liked individual.

After roll call on September 5, 1904 Ptl. Burns started up Elm Street on a newly assigned horse. As he reached Nepperhan Ave a trolley car headed down the hill in his direction. His new mount started to bolt at seeing the trolley. Ed tried to control the horse but to no avail. Both toppled over and officer Burns was thrown under the wheels of the oncoming trolley, the wheels passing over his body. Ptl. Edward Burns #42 became the first Yonkers Police to die in the line of duty. "Lest We Forget"

P.O. Dennis McElroy #38

Yonkers Police Officer Dennis McElroy joined the department on December 1, 1909. He was assigned to both foot patrol and as a fill-in on mounted duty. On October 25, 1916. Ptl. McElroy had just finished roll call for the midnight tour. He and others were to be delivered to their posts by horse and wagon. A short distance from the precinct, after climbing down from the patrol wagon, Ptl. Dennis McElroy was struck by a vehicle and killed. He was 40 years old and left behind his wife and small daughter. "Lest We Forget"

P.O. Wilfred Matthews

Yonkers Police Officer Matthews was appointed to the department on March 1, 1913. Ptl. Matthews was assigned to mounted patrol in the more rural areas of Yonkers. On October 17, 1916, Ptl. Matthews, while in the courthouse for an arraignment, was examining his Colt revolver. As often was the case in those days, he had been issued the gun without any training. Officers at that time were forbidden to carry their firearm in a holster. While he was placing the weapon back in his pocket, it accidentally discharged and struck Ptl. Matthews in the leg. In modern times, the wound probably would not have been fatal, but in 1916 penicillin had not yet been discovered. Ptl. Matthews died of infection twelve days later on October 29, 1916. He was 40 years old and left behind his wife and one child. "Lest We Forget"

P.O. Edward Morrison #8

Yonkers Police Officer Edward J. Morrison was appointed to the department, on December 1, 1909. On June 7, 1918 PO Morrison was assigned to a foot post. He was on duty at the foot of Ashburton Avenue around 12 noon when he was approached by a boat captain from Long Island who asked PO Morrison to aid him in locating a particular barge in the river that he was to take command of. PO Morrison agreed and they both began checking all the barges tied up at the water's edge. At some point, in an effort to jump from one barge to another, Morrison miscalculated and plunged into the river. His cries for help resulted in a cable being tossed to him. However, he pulled so hard to get out of the water, that he pulled his would-be rescuer in the water with him. PO Morrison was in full uniform which included his police choker style blouse coat. When finally pulled from the water, Morrison had nearly drowned and was in serious condition from swallowing a significant amount of water. He was immediately transported to St. Johns Hospital by PO William Kruppenbacher, where Morrison was admitted. Morrison remained hospitalized in serious condition for 13 days. His condition did not improve and on June 20th he was transferred to the Municipal Hospital in Nepera Park. It was there that his health continued to fail. PO Edward Morrison died on July 8, 1918 at 5:45 AM without ever leaving the hospital. "Lest We Forget"

Police Lt. Daniel J. Shea

Daniel J. Shea was appointed to the police department on February 8, 1889. On July 9, 1913 Lt. Daniel Shea was home (58 Hawthorne Avenue) doing some light house work. While working around the house, a neighbor called over to him to let him know there were two suspicious men walking around 63 Hawthorne. Lt. Shea investigated and found no signs of break in. Moments later the suspects were seen fleeing the premises. Lt. Shea stopped one of the suspects to question him when said male pulled a revolver from his pocket and shot the Lt in his chest. The Lt. did give chase but did not catch the suspect. The Lt. was rushed to St. Joseph's Hospital where the bullet was removed from his chest. The Lt. did survive. On April 3, 1926, nearly 13 years after the shooting Lt Shea had been admitted to the hospital. It was reported that the artery in the lieutenant's chest that was struck by the burglar's bullet years earlier was causing Shea his current medical problem and the doctors were trying to determine the best course of medical treatment. It would be of no help. On April 6, 1926 Lt. Daniel Shea died in St Joseph's Hospital at the age of 61 years. It was noted in a local paper that Lt. Daniel Shea died from complications from a shooting 13 years ago."Lest We Forget"

P.O. John Hudock #213

Yonkers Police Officer Hudock was born in Austria on September 16, 1893 and many years later he came to the U.S. with his family. In April of 1914 at the age of 21, he enlisted in the U.S.Army. He excelled in his military service by rising to the rank of top Sergeant by the time he was discharged in June of 1920. He served in the 10th Regiment Infantry and for a while was a small-firearms instructor. On March 31, 1925, John was appointed a Yonkers Police Officer at the salary of $1800 a year, and was assigned to the Third Precinct. Less than three years later, on February 17, 1928. Ptl Hudock made an arrest of a female and needed transportation to the Precinct for booking. A patrol car came to assist. It was a 2-door coupe, with no back seat. The prisoner took the passenger seat, Hudock stood on one running board, while Ptl Sal Iannucci stood on the other. During the ride to the precinct at South Broadway and McLean Ave., Ptl Hudock lost his grip, and fell from the running board and fractured his skull. The P.B.A. had the best doctors available retained to treat John but to no avail. He died four days later in St. Joseph's Hospital. He was 35 years old and single. A resident of Clinton St., Ptl Hudock had been considered a good cop and was one of the best marksman with a revolver in the department. He was well known for his ability to speak English, Polish, Russian, Slavic and Hungarian. His loss was reflected in the large number of people who attended his funeral and by the special police escort led by eleven motorcycles."Lest We Forget"

P.O. Michael J. Walsh #127

Yonkers Police Officer Michael Walsh was appointed to the department on March 15, 1925. In May of 1929, he was assigned to armored motorcycle duty. On December 23, 1929, Ptl Walsh and his partner were escorting an armored truck to a bank when his motorcycle was struck by a truck. He died in the hospital a short time later. Ptl Walsh was 27 years old and left behind his wife Margueritte and his six-month-old daughter Joan. "Lest We Forget"

P.O. Patrick F. Whalen #94

The RKO Proctors Movie Theater was located at 45 South Broadway, at Prospect Street. It was a very active location then as it is today. It was February 23, 1934 and P.O. Pat Whalen badge 94, of our Motorcycle Squad had parked his "Indian" in Getty Square and was talking to a local resident.

An explosion in front of the theater came without warning and threw slabs of sidewalk into the air creating a massive hole in the sidewalk. An electrical transformer had shorted and blew up. Gloria D'Addio, a ten year old girl had fallen into the burning hole. Officer Whalen running up the street, saw the child in the hole, and immediately jumped in to rescue her. He handed the girl up to off-duty officers Ray Carozza and John F. Ryan. Within seconds later a second explosion occurred virtually incinerating Office Whalen, who was still in the hole. He died instantly.

At the next award ceremony, Officers Carozza and Ryan received awards for Honorable Mention. Officer Pat Whalen received nothing.

Fifty-one years later, in 1985, acting on the recommendation of then, Lt. George Rutledge, who advised Captain Albert McEvoy, chairman of the Honor Board, of the obvious oversight, Officer Whalen was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously at a department awards ceremony. "Lest We Forget"

P.O. George Erling #101

Yonkers Police OfficerErling was appointed to the department on December 1, 1916. Having a dislike for automobiles, Ptl Erling served with the mounted unit until 1930 when it was disbanded. On June 30, 1935, while directing traffic around a fallen tree, he was struck by a car and severely injured. The next day Ptl Erling died at the age of 49 years having never regained consciousness. He left behind his wife and two sons. "Lest We Forget"

P.O. Daniel Quilty #61

Yonkers Police Officer Quilty was appointed to the department on December 1, 1913. On October 8, 1936, at 2:00 a.m., Ptl Quilty and his partner discovered a hotel fire. As Quilty and his partner roused the tenants, his partner was overcome by smoke. Ptl Quilty, weighing only 150 pounds, carried his 220 pound partner from the building to safety. Although he knew he had strained himself, he was aware he had ruptured his appendix. One week later, on October 15, 1936 Ptl Quilty, who had been the treasurer for the P.B.A. for eleven years, died. He was 50 years old and left behind his wife and three children. "Lest We Forget"

P.O. Joseph Kostik #186

Yonkers Police Officer Kostik was appointed to the department on December 31, 1923. On April 17, 1938, Easter Sunday, Ptl Kostik and his partner Ptl Liptak, were sent to break up a dice game. While en route, Ptl Kostik lost control of his radio car and struck a telephone pole. This well-liked officer died instantly. He was 41 years old and left behind his wife and four children. His partner died the following day. "Lest We Forget"

P.O. Albert Liptak #58

Yonkers Police Officer Liptak joined the department on September 6, 1930. Ptl Liptak was usually assigned to foot patrol, but due to another officer's illness, he was assigned to a radio car on April 17, 1938, Easter Sunday with Ptl Kostik. His partner lost control of their vehicle and struck a pole. Ptl Kostik died instantly, Ptl Liptak the following day, April 18, 1938. He was 31 years old and unmarried. "Lest We Forget"

P.O. John W. Cahill #205

Yonkers Police Officer Cahill was appointed to the department on February 1, 1930. On January 21, 1940, while Ptl Cahill was on crossing duty at St. Joseph's Church on Ashburton Ave., he heard an explosion nearby. Fearing the worst, he ran to the building where he thought the explosion occurred. Upon attempting to descend a darkened flight of basement stairs, he lost his footing, falling to the concrete below. Two days later Ptl Cahill died as a result of his injuries. He was 35 years old and left behind his wife and seven-month-old daughter. "Lest We Forget"

P.O. John Silinsky #157

Yonkers Police Officer Silinsky was appointed a police officer on December 1, 1954. Officer Silinsky was a 28-year veteran who had served in many assignments in the department.  He was very active in the P.B.A. for years and was very popular. On September 26, 1982 while off duty, Officer Silinsky foiled a robbery attempt and was shot in the head. Four days later on September 30, 1982, he died. Police Officer Silinsky was 58 years old and left behind a wife and three children. "Lest We Forget"

P.O. Harold Woods #105

By Ret. Deputy Chief George Rutledge
After completing recruit training in 1964 I was assigned to the 3rd Pct. This is where I first met P.O. Harry Woods. Although Harry only had about a year on me, he seemed like an old salt. He was one of very few that would even bother talking to a rookie. That's how Harry was. No airs about him.

There were a lot of footposts then, and only the "hairbags" had steady radio car patrol. Harry was a fill-in on occasion and rode with the late Sgt. Joe Madden. And when roll call was real short, on rare occasions I would ride with Harry. Him and I seemed to have a lot in common. He was a real family man and rarely used profanity. He and his wife Dottie were inseparable love-birds.

As is common our careers moved in a different direction. Harry was called for the NYPD job. So he took a leave of absence from YPD and went on the NYPD. Within a year he resigned and was re-appointed to YPD. He told me, "they crazy down there (NYC), both the people and cops. It's much too dangerous."

In 1972 I was a desk Sgt. in the North command (4th Pct.) and Harry worked in the radio room dispatching. There were all Police dispatchers then. I enjoyed talking to Harry often on the hot-line. He was fourth on the current Sgt.'s list and waiting to be made.

It was Sept. 18, 1974 and Harry had driven down from his house in Peekskill to work the late tour. As was routine for Harry, about 10:30 pm he stopped in the A&P store at Nepperhan & Odell Ave. to pick up milk for the radio room. When he entered the store he knew something was wrong, and announced "what's the problem? I'm a police officer." At that point, a gun was pressed against his throat, was fired, and the bullet penetrated his neck, severing his spinal column. Seconds later the holdup team was gone, leaving Harry lying in his own pool of blood. Harry was in very critical condition and was placed on a respirator. Many officers and friends donated blood and visited Harry in the hospital.

Although everything possible was done for Harry, on Sept. 22, 1974 he died. Harry was only 34 years old, he left his wife Dottie and 3 young sons. Harry was a fine officer and a gentleman and will always be remembered....................."Lest We Forget"